[rucksack-devel] Stability

Victor bobbie at ua.fm
Fri Dec 17 16:12:30 UTC 2010

On Tue Dec 7 06:49:31 EST 2010 Jochen Schmidt wrote:
> Am 07.12.2010 um 12:32 schrieb Henrik Hjelte:
> > It was some time ago since I experimented with rucksack. The code
> > was very nice, it has a testsuite and I fixed the only error that
> > was detected by the stress-test. So I think it is safe in some
> > sort of way: no failing tests in a decent test-suite. But: I don't
> > think many use it. And why I am not using it is that it is only
> > for one process at a time. Are you building an application where
> > only one process will reach the database?

> Do you have the fix for the error shown by the stress test? Or is it
> actually already in current rucksack? I've a modified snapshot of
> rucksack here which makes parallel reader transactions possible. The
> current official rucksack isn't particularily well suited for web
> applications, because it serializes all transactions. I've
> implemented a multi-reader single-writer transaction for rucksack
> and deployed several simple web apps using it (1-n rucksack accesses
> per request). In about a year running those apps I didn't have any
> lost data or other problems.

> Perhaps we should throw our code together and put it up somewhere
> (Github?) for others to use.

I would be interested in this feature too. And I think that making
it possible to have single writer multiple readers would benefit
others as well.

The application I use rucksack for has one long-running writer
transaction and multiple very short reader transactions. When the
writers starts running the application is really stalled.

It would be great if you share your sources.

Thanks,
Victor

P.S. I am new on this list and found these messages in the archives