[rucksack-devel] Some other things

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 22 11:04:01 UTC 2007

Levente Mészáros wrote:

> Something similar is when calling add-rucksack-root, rucksack-roots,
> etc. those functions require to pass in a rucksack. Which is fine for
> at least two reasons: because they need one and they want to dispatch
> on it. On the other hand 99 percent of the time I guess this will be
> *rucksack* which could be the default. I know that it is not doable in
> a generic method if you want to dispatch on it, so it's a naming issue
> again. How do we call those functions? I could only come up again with
> the add-rucksack-root and add-rucksack-root* which I doubt you are
> going to like too much.

I think that functions like ADD-RUCKSACK-ROOT and RUCKSACK-ROOTS should
not be called very often in 'normal' user code.  So it's probably not worth
it to create separate versions that give a default for one of the arguments.

If you do happen to call them very often in your program, you can always
create your own special versions.  But I don't think it's a good idea to
add them to Rucksack.

Arthur