[rucksack-devel] GC question

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Jun 16 10:20:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:09:02 +0200, "Arthur Lemmens" <alemmens at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Short answer: yes, that's the best I could come up with.  (But you
> could set GROW-SIZE to 0 if you don't want that, of course.)
>
> There may be a better solution that somehow analyzes the heap
> 'demographics' to determine if the heap should grow at the end of a
> garbage collection phase.  But I don't think it's easy to do that,
> so I went for the easier solution of just expanding the heap by an
> amount (or percentage) that can be specified by the user.

OK, understood.  But then the default value for GROW-SIZE probably
shouldn't be 2.0 because that'll result in an enormous growth.  I'd
propose to set GROW-SIZE to the (integral) size of MAX-HEAP-END in the
:AFTER method of INITIALIZE-INSTANCE (unless the user had set it
already) - something like in the attached patch.