[rdnzl-devel] CL-CLR, an alternative way of working with RDNZL

Dan Muller s8ctxw402 at sneakemail.com
Sat Mar 25 15:36:21 UTC 2006

I recently put together a system that I layered on top of RDNZL, in
order to experiment with some alternative ways of interacting with
CLR/.NET code. I'm hoping that some of the ideas could be incorporated
into RDNZL. Edi's too busy to look it over right now, and he suggested
that I offer for perusal here on the mailing list.

Aside from making type lookup a little easier, this system tries to
make your .NET-using Lisp code a bit more Lisp-like. Performance is
shabby because of the layering over RDNZL; much, if not all of this,
could eventually be fixed. Nonetheless, I've been using this system
successfully for the past few weeks as a vehicle for exploring Direct3D
programming on a WinXP system, using the LispWorks trial edition of
Lisp. In order to get reasonable performance, I had to use
CL-CLR:DEFINE-CLR-CALL (a thin veneer over DEFINE-RDNZL-CALL) for most
calls in the rendering loop.

This system *should* work with any Lisp that is supported by RDNZL.

The package includes several of Microsoft's Direct3D Tutorial programs,
translated to Lisp. If you have ASDF, RDNZL, and Direct3D installed,
you ought to be able to run the examples with a minimum of fuss.

You can download it from here: http:\\..................\cl-clr.zip

Comments are welcome. You are also encouraged to laugh at the
excessively long TODO.txt file.

--
Dan Muller