Hi

Kevin Layer layer at franz.com
Wed May 13 20:50:12 UTC 2020

OK, jumping on the history train here...

My lisp journey started in a CS class at UC Berkeley taught by
Professor Richard Fateman (of Macsyma and Maxima fame).  I volunteered
on the first day to fix the lisp system (nil wasn't evaluating to nil,
but generating an error).  It was Harvard Lisp and it ran on a PDP 11
I think.  It was written in assembler and had comments about class
assignments.  Fateman hired me after that class and I worked for him
on Franz Lisp.  First task was to port Liszt (the compiler) from the
VAX to the Motorola 68000.  The machine was in a closet and was bigger
than a fridge.  We got an early Sun workstation and I ported to that,
too.  4MB of RAM was the same as the VAXen we had.

I helped found Franz, Inc (with 4 others) in 1984 and have been here
ever since.  I manage the Lisp group, do release management for
Allegro CL, as well as lots of other things.

Kevin