Hi

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Wed May 13 11:19:54 UTC 2020

Rudi Ara??jo wrote on Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:43:48AM +0200:
> Hi,
>
> Used CL professionally from 2008 to 2017, now working mostly with Java and
> a little bit of Perl (yes, Perl as in Perl).
>
> Transitioning to Perl was hard, but after about a year I grew to have some
> respect for it.

I have come to respect Perl more, from a Common Lisp perspective.

Both Common Lisp and Perl are about code compression.  Common Lisp
enables you to compress the complex things into tiny pieces of code.
Perl enables you to compress the common things into tiny pieces of
code.

As people who work on complex things we are biased to prefer the
former, but from a perspective of an application suitable for perl I
can't help but really appreciate the kind of code compression it
offers.

Noisy languages like Python or heaven forbid Java compress nothing.  I
don't mind having to type so much in the first place, but the change
rates later kill me.

I should go write more about compile-time computing and Lisp advocacy
now...

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/