Hi

Rudi Araújo rudi.araujo at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:43:48 UTC 2020

Hi,

Used CL professionally from 2008 to 2017, now working mostly with Java and
a little bit of Perl (yes, Perl as in Perl).

Transitioning to Perl was hard, but after about a year I grew to have some
respect for it. Moose is actually a pretty developer friendly OO framework,
and it reminds me in many aspects of CLOS. Now Java... That has been a hard
transition. Even with all the niceties they've been introducing since Java
8 (the Streams API for example), it's just a pain in the neck. Testing for
example can be extremely painful, especially when working with legacy code
with lots of anti-patterns (mocking and stubbing is a nightmare in some
cases). And even with all the improvements to the language, it still
encourages a great deal of verbosity.

Anyway, I still hang on to Emacs and use Emacs Lisp occasionally for
throwaway scripts. I do miss CL though. I wish there were more CL jobs
going around.

Cheers,
r.