In CLOS, instance remorphing considered useless in practice?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 20:20:24 UTC 2020

I once used update-instance-for-redefined-class in ASDF, when I was
trying to make a smooth upgrade from ASDF 1 to ASDF 2. The problem I
found is that proper support for class redefinition requires the
cooperation not only of the underlying object system, but also of all
the parts of the implementation. It also requires more deterministic
guarantees on what code gets inlined and what code doesn't get
inlined.

In ASDF 3, I threw the towel, and decided I could never get the OTHER
parts of the system to cooperate (aka ASDF extensions for me, but also
all the extensions to all existing programs being redefined), so I
stopped using update-instance-for-redefined-class and instead went for
deleting/overwriting/resetting functions, generic functions, and, in
extreme cases, packages.

I would love to see languages with better support for redefinition.
Like unison, or darklang. Unhappily,
update-instance-for-redefined-class, while very cool, is *not enough*.

But in relatively small systems that are long-running, with everyone
cooperating, like they had in the 1980s, it was probably sufficient.
And it is a marvelous tool. If you control the entire application and
want images to survive code evolution.

Taxonomy is the death of science — A. N. Whitehead