Call for Interest: Clojure (or Lisp?) Code Camp with BLM focus

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Wed Dec 2 19:57:58 UTC 2020

Well i'm not meaning to be a wet blanket but I'm pretty sure there are
plenty of places to discuss "this language is better than that language
because of this or that feature"   other than a common lisp - specific
email list.

It seems self-evident to me that a "professional common lisp" mailing list
is meant for those who are working in Common Lisp professionally (either
out of necessity or preference), and wish to discuss various
tips/tricks/practicalities of continuing to do so.  Discussions about how
to introduce Common Lisp to youngsters (some of whom may become the next
generation of "common lisp professionals") may also be appropriate. But
discussions about "hey, let's teach youngsters programming: now let's
discuss what non-commonlisp trendy languages are the cool/smart kids using
these days so that we (common lisp professional) may put resources into a
coding camp or whatever"  seem to run counter to any purpose of a mailing
list such as this and moreover smacks of a cuckoldish mentality.

Now, if we are discussing other languages from the perspective of "how can
we co-opt some of the nice features of these other languages into common
lisp through open-source libraries or some future version of the cl
standard" then I feel the discussion would be appropriate here. But that
does not seem to be the thrust of this current thread (is it?)

I also should display some humility and perhaps my initial comment on this
matter was a bit short and haughty; I apologize if it came through that
way. After all, I did not establish this list and I'm not sure who did --
if they are still around perhaps they can chime in with an opinion?

I am however associated with the Foundation which runs common-lisp.net
which runs this mailing list so I do feel qualified to express an opinion
here.

--
My Best,

Dave Cooper, david.cooper at gen.works