Common Lisp style: multiple packages in same repo

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 13:27:21 UTC 2018

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:47 PM Daniel Pezely <daniel at pezely.com> wrote:

> On 2018-08-25 04:53 PM, Ken Tilton wrote:
>
> Packages are massively overrated. This is not Java where every frickin
> source file is a namespace. There is a certain obsessive compulsiveness
> about packages that does nothing but slow developers down. Well, right,
> they are a palliative for the OCD disease. But it *is* a disease, so that
> does not count.
>
> What part of agile do we not understand? Fences, boxes, categories, types
> all invented for their own sake let us bask in our taxonomicity while
> getting no code written, and god help the sucker who tries to use our OCD
> mess forever battling package issues.
>
> Stop. Wrong way. Go back.
>

> Ken,
>
> How might we use this criticism constructively?

Use one package per library. If you want to document your library, document
the public bits.

btw, I did not find the McCLIM idea of a second package for internals
abhorrent.

And the day I let a disaster like ASDF dictate my coding is the day I sign
up for bartender school.

We had an 80kloc CL app that was well divided into packages and it was an
endless source of pain. It took a week but I flattened everything into one
package and we had one bug related to symbol confusion. But then we used
the old 2-3-character prefixing scheme for readabilty and disambiguation.

-kt
--
Kenneth Tilton
http://tiltontec.com/