Common Lisp style: multiple packages in same repo

Daniel Pezely daniel at pezely.com
Mon Aug 27 02:53:18 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-25 05:29 PM, Scott McKay wrote:
> +1
>
> I think we did OK in CLIM: an API package, and an internal package to
> implement in.
>
> --Scott
>
> On Aug 25, 2018, at 7:53 PM, Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com
> <mailto:kentilton at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Packages are massively overrated.  [...]

Scott,

Are you referring to the earlier CLIM from CMU [1] or McCLIM [2] or
another specific implementation?  My understanding is that "CLIM" today
usually implies the spec, but I've yet to use any of these packages.

What did you or others appreciate most about its package organization?

McCLIM seems to separate API from internals and uses various systems
named `mcclim/foo` and packages named `mcclim-foo` invoked by those
systems.  This is just from glancing at various *.asd files and
package.lisp.

The older CMU version seems to be more fine-grained by separating
platform-specific bits under `impl_dep` subdirectory.

   [1]
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/gui/clim/0.html
   [2] https://github.com/McCLIM/McCLIM

Thanks,