Best practices analogous to "debug" and "release" builds?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 21:57:57 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:22 PM, John Morrison
<jm at symbolic-simulation.com> wrote:
> I want to prune all the developer-centric stuff (e.g., clouseau:inspector,
> which in turn, brings in McCLIM, maybe some formatted I/O) from my CL
> software when I package it as a dumped SBCL image (vs delivering source).
> Would also like to change the optimize directives (debug, speed, etc.).
>
> What are the best practices?  My Googling didn't turn up much.  Or am I
> thinking about this in entirely the wrong way?

1- Whether using bazel or asdf, have a build script that does it all
for you, repeatably. If using ASDF, be sure to have separate
ASDF_OUTPUT_TRANSLATIONS for that build as compared to the usual
build.

2- Run tests from the production image, even if that means running
twice. But don't run them in the production environment!

3- The quux tarball on qitab shows what infrastructure ITA used to use
in QRes. The bazelisp repository shows what infrastructure Google uses
in QPX.

4- Either bazel or a recent CFFI + ASDF will help you deliver
single-file applications with custom libraries statically linked into
the image.

Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.