Fixtures in FiveAM

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Sun Jun 19 15:15:18 UTC 2016

I think regression testing is a laudable goal. But it only tests under fixed circumstances, prescribed by all the scaffolding. It assures that under those specific conditions, the functions you test, seem to have passed on the basis of conformity with earlier or planned behavior. But it cannot assure that in the heat of battle, the functions will continue to perform properly. And it will possibly miss those all important corner cases. Errors of failure to anticipate.

It would seem to me that the only way to assure a consistent quality it to program in largely functional style, and provide in-situ design by contract clauses that operate at each invocation. The entire system beneath the code could have changed and there would be no other way to know this without the contractual clauses in place.

I know that implies a large runtime overhead. But how else to know the integrity of the entire system?

- DM