Prototype Based Programming in Lisp?

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Mon Jul 4 01:26:53 UTC 2016

An example may help… TheSkyX is a telescope control system for an equatorial mount known as a Paramount. This is a high quality telescope mount with tracking of stars. It can interface not only to the mount, but also to cameras for imaging and autoguiding. But it has limits. An autoguider camera mounted on the side of a telescope suffers some degree of differential flexure and so the guide camera gradually drifts away from where the imaging camera wants to be centered. If left to the autoguider control in TheSkyX control program, long exposures would develop streaked star images.

So in response to that problem, I have a little “Kicker” program, written in Lisp, running alongside TheSkyX, that computes the rate of change in differential flexure during the tracking. It prods TheSkyX with changing positions as to where it should expect the guide star to be. In effect I’m fooling the autoguider into doing the right thing in the face of changing differential flexure.

My wider context for control is the location in the sky where I am pointed with the imaging camera, and the current time. Javascript does not have a concept of saved state, which could allow for differential nudges relative to the previous nudge. Instead, I keep that information updated in the Lisp executive and offer just the blind differential nudges every minute to TheSkyX.

- DM