Prototype Based Programming in Lisp?

Kenneth Tilton ken at tiltontec.com
Sun Jul 3 23:46:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM, David McClain <dbm at refined-audiometrics.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Not to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm,

No enthusiasm. As I said, I prefer Common Lisp. You asked if it was a fad,
I said "No" and provided the indicators I see.

> but can you suggest solid technical reasons for migrating from Common Lisp
> to Clojure? I don’t do web programming.

No, I prefer CL. I was responding to this from you:

 " I’m finding myself being dragged into a “new” world centering on
> Javascript and prototype based programming. "

So I suggested ClojureScript (if you have that option.)

> I do machine control, image processing, DSP audio processing, cryptography
> research, etc. I have never programmed a web page in my life, and probably
> never will.

So what is the Javascript for? A node.js app of some kind?

> My impressions from a few years ago was that Clojure was another language
> built for the heck of it, much like Python. Not particularly well designed,
> under the control of one individual, with lots of cheerleading from the
> small audience. Perhaps it has now matured?

I just started using it three months ago because I am looking for a job, so
I cannot offer much on growth over the years. I do know a few folks now add
to the core, and the product is very stable, solid, and mature.

And again, Clojurescript is amazing. Cells is fairly intense and once I had
it ported to Clojure it took just  a week to get it running on CLJS (most
of that do to some source code reorg in re macros forced by the CLJS->JS
compilation chain. So in the context of "OMG! Ihave to do JS" I offered my
recommendation.

Not that cljs will save you from the prototype model. :)

best, kt