Prototype Based Programming in Lisp?

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Sun Jul 3 23:25:58 UTC 2016

Hi Ken,

Not to put too much of a damper on your enthusiasm, but can you suggest solid technical reasons for migrating from Common Lisp to Clojure? I don’t do web programming. I do machine control, image processing, DSP audio processing, cryptography research, etc. I have never programmed a web page in my life, and probably never will.

My impressions from a few years ago was that Clojure was another language built for the heck of it, much like Python. Not particularly well designed, under the control of one individual, with lots of cheerleading from the small audience. Perhaps it has now matured? I have seen the jobs posted for Clojure programmers, but that doesn’t motivate me in particular. And I know essentially nothing of the Java world, and whether or not it is a good thing that they are migrating to Clojure.

Not trying to pick a fight. But looking for some meat in the arguments.

Cheers,

- DM