Package extensions usage

Michael J. Forster mike at sharedlogic.ca
Wed Dec 30 17:05:54 UTC 2015

On 29 December 2015 at 19:25, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
> Hi,
[...]
> Also, I agree with Kenny
> that splitting libraries into too fine-grained small little packages is not
> a good recipe for organizing your projects. Lisp packages want to be big,
> and there is no major disadvantage in doing so, and I fear that hierarchical
> package names encourage unnecessary fine-grained splitting. That just
> creates visibility problems, and distract from solving /actual/ problems.
[...]

On a related note, I attempted to retrofit a 150K+ LOC application
with "inferred packages"[1] and, revision time and effort aside, I
think the only dependency problem it solved was the one it created. I
have not tried it with a larger or smaller application, and, of
course, YMMV.

Mike

[1] http://davazp.net/2014/11/26/modern-library-with-asdf-and-package-inferred-system.html