Erlang style processes in Common Lisp

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 19:46:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>>> How might we get equivalent cheap ephemeral processes into a
>>> contemporary Common Lisp implementation?
>>
>> In short, you need to write from scratch a new CL implementation. Current ones are not designed with the Erlang constraints in mind.
>
> well, Nikodemus had some plans for green threads for SBCL and it
> didn't sound like a rewrite.
>
> and adding first class heaps would be a very useful addition with or
> without any of the other erlang stuff. i don't know how hard that is,
> but i assume it should be rather simple if the responsibility is
> pushed over to the user to make sure that there are no dangling
> pointers after destroying a heap.
>
> or am i missing something?

Not Common Lisp (yet), but Racket has custodians for first-class
resource allocation pool, and all kinds of concurrency primitives.
Since it's a programming language designed to implement other
programming languages on top of it, it would make a great basis for a
"new" common lisp implementation.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. — Thoreau