[pro] Meaning of "inline" when applied to a generic function?

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:20:22 UTC 2014

Jean-Claude,

you can expect your compiler to ignore your "inline" declaration.  Or do
something else with it.  It is just a hint. [1]

A sufficiently smart compiler might use compile-time type inference to find
a method matching some set of argument types and then replace the function
invocation by the body of that method.  To me, it appears to be
questionable whether such a smart compiler would depend on inline
declarations.

I am just a user, though, and maybe one of the compiler writers on this
list want to add some of the fine points surrounding this :)

-Hans

[1] http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/d_inline.htm