[pro] lisp on mobile platforms these days

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 07:33:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com>wrote:

> > There was an ECL port attempt but I didn't track it too closely
> > lately I remember vaguely that a few scheme would be available and I
> > thing CCL is also in the picture.  I'd rather talk for MKCL if you
> > don't mind.
>

> not at all, especially if i understand correctly ECL is unmaintained
> and MKCL is an alive fork.

You are probably too hard on ECL (at least somewhat).
But you are right that MKCL is alive and I would even add that it
is moving pretty fast under the public surface...

> >> is mkcl viable to run as a native app both on iOS and android?
> >
> > right now it is not, period. But it is on my list of things to do
> > any month now.  As soon as I get the ffi to be C99-complete as I
> > say, and that I am done with the proper interface to the
> > "environment" (that CLTL2 thing, you know) I will get right to it.
>

> porting to android sounds like a fun project. see you on mkcl-devel... :)

Well, you may have a few difficulties subscribing to mkcl-devel since
common-lisp.net is currently going through yet another great shake up.
The mailing lists are back under mailman control again but I have not
taken time to update the MKCL web page about it. Here is the link
that I should put back:

> FTR, there's this commercial lisp:
>
> https://wukix.com/mocl
>
> and this thread with some comments of interest:
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/lisp/comments/1lemlk/best_lisp_repl_for_android_tablet/
>
> and then there's probably the most viable:
>
> http://gambitscheme.org/

Yes, Gambit-C by Marc Feeley is the scheme I had most in mind but
I wasn't sure enough of my memory to spell it out.

> especially this project based on gambit. after a very cursory search,
> this seems to be the most inviting/interesting without actually trying
> it:
>
> http://www.lambdanative.org/

Looks impressive! Thanks for the hint.