State of common-lisp.net ?

Drew C me at drewc.ca
Mon Jun 17 06:23:31 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Drew C <me at drewc.ca> wrote:
> > 2) I was told that the business who runs the dedicated service are
> shutting
> > down, and the box will go with it.
>
> This is something I didn't know. I spoke to several c-l.net users at
> ECLM and nobody was aware of this.

The downtime really happened all of a sudden, I was trying to migrate
things one at a time, but the dedicated hosting company did not quite do
something 'right'.

http://common-lisp.net/news/2013/03/05_the-server-must-move.html was really
the first time I was made aware of it, and the first time asking for help.

> > 3) I asked for help, and others who knew apache. exim and mailman to
> please
> > help me because I do not know those things.
> > 4) I did not receive any help, and the box was going to be shutdown
> unless I
> > paid a lot to keep it up an extra month.
>
> Again, I follow clo-devel at common-lisp.net and this was never mentioned.

Probably my bad. I tried, it was rejected as spam, and I could not seem to
send it legitimately before things really went down.

> > Given that I am the only admin, well, I am glad to be told of what others
> > think of me. thank you ;)
>
> Please don't take this personally. Surely you realize that there was a
> gross communication failure. All that users saw was c-l.net going down
> without warning, c-l.net being down for a while, followed by it coming
> back up with different software and a site redesign.

Sorry if it came of as taking it personally... and I agree that there was a
communication failure. Again it is all likely my fault, but this all
happened so fast that I did not do exactly what I wanted/needed.