[pro] [Q] unicode support

Robert Smith quad at symbo1ics.com
Wed Sep 26 17:23:16 UTC 2012

I think it might be worthwhile to look at unicode beyond just seeing
if files can encoded as utf8.

The concept of "unicode support" is pretty loaded. What does it mean?
Does unicode support mean that one can operate on strings stored in a
particular fashion? Does it mean functions like LENGTH handle
overlaying characters correctly (e.g., any character plus a circumflex
overlaying character... does that have length 1 or 2?)? Do the
printers support stuff like right-to-left printing?

See http://stackoverflow.com/a/6163129 for details on why unicode
support isn't a simple concept.

Cheers,

Robert Smith