[pro] [Q] unicode support

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:54:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Didier Verna <didier at lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
> does anyone have a global view on the status of unicode support in the
> main CL implementations (SBCL, CMU-CL, ECL, CCL, CLISP, ABCL, ACL,
> LispWorks). By that, I mean mostly being able to encode source files in
> utf8 with the following concerns:
>
> - do I need to do something special at the implementation-level ?
> - do I need to do something special at the ASDF system level ?
> - could this break the code of people using my libraries ?

So far as I can tell, all these implementations support Unicode,
though some of them can be explicitly compiled without.

ASDF, since release 2.21 (April 2012) supports Unicode.
The recommended, backwards-compatible, incantation is
(in your defsystem, or any specific component):
	#+asdf-unicode :encoding #+asdf-unicode :utf-8.

I have the intention of making utf-8 the default eventually,
but last we checked (in April this year), that would break
7 files out of all of quicklisp,
the authors of which have never replied regarding fixing them.

Also, if you (asdf:load-system :asdf-encodings) explicitly and early,
you can use :encoding :latin1, or :encoding euc-jp,
or whichever encoding your implementation supports
(asdf-encodings at this time won't transcode things for you).

An example system that explicitly uses this UTF-8 support
is lambda-reader, which I published earlier this year
(last edited in April also), based on an initial implementation
by Brian Mastenbrook.

To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary... These
procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a
revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate.
	— Che Guevara