[pro] Some error/condition standardization anyone?

Marco Antoniotti antoniotti.marco at disco.unimib.it
Mon Jun 27 19:16:12 UTC 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 19:26 , Steve Haflich wrote:

> > Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> >
> > > Now, this is a specific case for me: having a consistent
> > > READER-ERROR-BECAUSE-THERE-IS-NO-SUCH-PACKAGE-THAT-THE-SYSTEM-KNOWS
> > > error signaled would simplify some code writing.
>
> I agree with the sentiment, what is the specific proposal may need more work.

Of course... this is jut one example.  There may be other cases, plus unexplored ones: FILE-ERROR is rather underspecified, so are PARSE-ERROR and PROGRAM-ERROR.  I'd like to see a discussion started....

> Would you want this same condition to be signaled for this form?
>
> (defpackage :foo
>   (:use :not-yet-loaded))
>
> That's an error, but not a reader error the way reading not-yet-loaded:bar would be. Still, it would be nice if these shared a common superclass because what the application might want to do to handle would be the same.

These would both be PACKAGE-ERRORs, but different

> Unfortunately, the condition system does not portably support multiple inheritance.

Yes, I'll grant you that and see where you are going.   This is another CDR:  The Condition system should use the CLOS algorithm to determine/use/offer multiple inheritance derived properties.

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti, Associate Professor				tel.	+39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043		http://bimib.disco.unimib.it

Please note that I am not checking my Spam-box anymore.
Please do not forward this email without asking me first.