[pro] The Best Examples of "Code is Data"

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Tue Sep 7 22:19:36 UTC 2010

Paul Tarvydas wrote:
> 1. Doug Hoyte's book Let Over Lambda, chapter 6.3 Alet and Finite State Machines, raised my macrology to a new level.  I used his ideas to implement a full-blown hierarchical state machine macro(s) (roughly 200 lines of CL, too large to post here).  The hierarchical state machine paradigm is great for programming reactive things, e.g. gui's, hardware controllers, etc.

This is an interesting and original book.  The techniques
he likes, including "anamorphic macros", have generally
been frowned upon by the community.  However, I don't
want to object to his approach just because it's different
from that if me and my friends.  Who know, he might be
on to something.  I think it's extremely impressive
that he was able to get a book published on a topic
with such a small audience: good for him!

-- Dan