[postmodern-devel] [Sbcl-devel] Possible bug in REFILL-INPUT-BUFFER

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 19:30:29 UTC 2009

>> > Iolib socket streams don't flush the output buffer on reading. that
>> > would lead to major complications in order to be made safe
>>
>> Aren't they kind of going against the CL standard, then?
>
> Not as fair as I know. I read the entire stream chapter when I wrote it
> and I remember no such requirement

The only thing I can find in the hyperspec is:

> force-output initiates the emptying of any internal buffers but does not wait for completion or acknowledgment to return.

So I think your force-output should do at least *something* that, in
the finite future, causes the buffers to be flushed. In case of
emergency, you can just make force-output and finish-output
equivalent.

(As in, I'm not too anxious to modify my code unless there's a good
reason to do so. Going by the Hyperspec, I think using force-output
like that should be correct.)