[postmodern-devel] [Sbcl-devel] Possible bug in REFILL-INPUT-BUFFER

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Tue Oct 6 09:47:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 11:30 +0200, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:
> Hi Attila,
>
> The changes required to use iolib instead of usocket are very tiny.
> That's great. If only there was some widely-supported, nice way of
> parameterised module loading. I don't want to simply incorporate your
> patch as it is -- that'd break windows support. One approach would be
> a feature :postmodern-use-iolib that people can push onto *features*
> before loading Postmodern, and conditionally replaces references to
> usocket with iolib. Would that work for you?

what about depending on usocket on windows and iolib on *nix ?

> As for replacing force-output with finish-output, why did you do that?
> It seems like it might slow some things down, and unless I am missing
> something, finish-output does the job.

CLHS says:

finish-output attempts to ensure that any buffered output sent to
output-stream has reached its destination, and then returns.

force-output initiates the emptying of any internal buffers but does not
wait for completion or acknowledgment to return.

On SBCL(and probably most other implementations) they are equivalent.
For iolib I took the CLHS to the letter and only finish-output blocks
until all buffered data is written, while force-output only sets a flag
that the stream must be flushed by the next blocking operation

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib