[phemlock-devel] hemlock clone on gitorious

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sun Mar 14 14:27:49 UTC 2010

Quoting Nikodemus Siivola (nikodemus at random-state.net):
> I made some steps in this direction.
>
>   http://gitorious.org/~nikodemus/hemlock/nikodemus-hemlock/commits/defcommand-hax

Thanks for working on this.

> Basically:
>
> 1. Existing DEFCOMMAND forms work just like they used to, and append
> -COMMAND to names to avoid need for wholesale renaming.
>
> 2. (defcommand ("My Foo" my-foo) ...) uses MY-FOO as the function name.

That's a good transition strategy at least.

As long as we aren't switching over completely, we don't benefit from
M-. on command names as written, but I guess that's okay for now.

One thing to keep in mind though is that sometimes we need to find
command function names from the command.

The two function I can find which currently rely on the -command suffix
are:

  - edit-command-definition

    M-. replacement for command names

and

  - find-command-for-prepl-normally

    which makes it possible to run commands like
       CL-USER> ,start-slave-process
    or
       CL-USER> ,dired "/etc"
    in the repl.

How would be fix them on the branch?

> 3. DEFCOMMAND also accepts empty lambda-lists, taking them to mean
> (&OPTIONAL #:PREFIX). IMO this leads to easier to read command when
> they don't use prefix arguments.
>
> I also went over some exiting commands and made them use the new-style
> naming: FORWARD-CHARACTER, BEGINNING-OF-BUFFER, etc.

Nice.

d.