[parenscript-devel] Parenscript 2.3 compilation problem

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:00:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

This week, Alessio Stalla and I are trying to get Parenscript to compile on
ABCL. We're using Parenscript 2.3 as distributed with Quicklisp.

Parenscript 2.2 worked fine, after fixing a potential readtables issue.
However, Parenscript 2.3 fails compilation during the compilation of the
(DEFINE-EXPRESSION-OPERATOR LET # ...) toplevel form.

The problem is that it generates an expression (VAR X), which is then
expanded to (DEFPARAMETER X). However, that's non-conforming because the
initial value is required according to the CLHS. Looking at the definition
of the VAR macro, I see the problem:

(defmacro VAR (name &optional value docstring)
  `(defparameter ,name ,@(when value (list value)) ...))

can indeed lead to a (DEFPAMETER X)

I haven't found out if/why this isn't a problem on Parenscript 2.2 or why
Parenscript 2.3 would cleanly compile on SBCL, because - like ABCL - it
rejects forms like that.

If it is ABCL that's broken here, could you help us fix it? If not, could
you fix parenscript to work on ABCL?

I'm eager to learn about your analysis of the situation. If you need help on
settin up ABCL, I'll gladly provide it.

Bye,

Erik