[parenscript-devel] Equality issues

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 00:29:17 UTC 2010

I'll try this out later and report back. Since both CL and JS have a
strictness-hierarchy for equality (EQ,EQL,EQUAL,EQUALP vs. ==,===) it does
seem reasonable as a general strategy for PS to map between these two
hierarchies.

If I understand correctly, the plan you're describing is to map EQ and EQL
to ===, EQUAL and EQUALP to ==. This raises the question, why define four
different equality predicates in PS to begin with? Perhaps it would be
better to just have two? (Say EQ for === and EQUAL for ==.)

One reason I ask is that we already have a PS implementation of EQUALP that
does deep equality testing like CL's EQUALP does. In other words, (ps
(equalp '(a b (c)) '(a b (c)))) evaluates to true in JS. Obviously this
requires a runtime library function. But we've found it very useful,
especially for unit tests that have complex data structures to compare. Our
PS EQUALP also compares JS objects so that, for example,
equalp({a:123},{a:123}) returns true. I'd be happy to contribute our
implementation to PS if it would be helpful, but my point is more generally
that the name EQUALP should probably be reserved for something that has
these semantics -- partly because that's what it means in CL and partly
because it's so damn useful. Thoughts?