[Pal-devel] Next release

Tomi Neste flatlander at yellow-hut.com
Mon Jul 23 07:34:53 UTC 2007

<matthieu.villeneuve at free.fr> kirjoitti Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:33:18 +0300:
> Hello Tomi,
>
> Quoting Tomi Neste <flatlander at yellow-hut.com>:
>> What that means is that if any of you have any ideas for major changes
>> I'd
>> like to hear those now, since after 1.0 all changes will be purely
>> incremental in nature.

Since most of your renaming suggestions are about internal PAL functions
there is no problem changing them (i.e if you use them be prepared for
random changes in their interface and behaviour ;) ).
Related to that, is there any unexported functionality that people
frequently use? So far I have kept everything not immediately useful
unexported but if there is something you would like to see officially
exported let me know.

> I would like to suggest a few name changes:
> - reset-tags-holding-this-resource -> reset-tags-holding-resource
>   (maybe merge this one with reset-tags: (reset-tags &key resource) ).
> - coerce-form-for -> (make-coerce-form value destination-type)

Reasonable suggestions, consider it done.
(btw. reset-tags-holding-this-resorce was originally
reset-tags-holding-this-resource-that-i-m-giving-you-as-an-argument. Maybe
you can guess that I'm not yet quite satisfied wit the way resources are
handled...)

> - defunct -> define-coercing-function (?)

I'd like to keep this reasonably short since it is used quite often in
pal.lisp and is not intended for external use anyway.
The current name stands for defun-and-coerce-types.
Notes:

a) There are currently lots of unnecessary declarations in the pal
sources, try not to let them distract you. Mostly they are there just
because when I was bored I used to play "get this function compile without
efficiency warnings" games with SBCL ;)
And of course they help SBCL to catch type errors, so I think there is no
harm done.

b) I have been thinking about adding automatic coercion of symbols (TAGs)
to resource types. So in addition to (play-sample (tag 'sfx)) you could
use (play-sample 'sfx). This could be achieved by simply adding a rule to
make-coerce-form.

c) I think I'll need to start adding some comments in the source...

> - with-blend -> with-blend-mode

This is a bit problematic since with-blend accepts also the blend color,
not just mode. So I think with-blend-mode would be misleading.

> - relt -> random-elt

Hmm, ok.

> - :middle -> :center (argument to draw-image)

I'm fine with both, so in the sake of compatibility I'm going to keep the
current name :)

> Those correspond to my personal taste, but they don't come with any
> guarantee of quality...
>
> Thanks again for your work on Pal!
> Cheers,
>

> --