Online Lisp Meeting #3

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Wed Jun 10 09:07:43 UTC 2020

Good morning, everyone! I am pleased to announce the third Online Lisp
Meeting.

There are two speakers for the third Online Lisp Meeting: Mark Evenson,
the current maintainer of Armed Bear Common Lisp, and Robert Strandh,
the initiator of SICL, the upcoming modular implementation of Common Lisp.

Mark Evenson will talk about "Reflections on the Future History of
Arming Bears".

> With the recent releases of Armed Bear Common Lisp over the past six
> months, the future of extending the implementation has come into
> sharper focus.  The majority of this work has occurred within the head
> of one individual with little chance for public review and reflection,
> we believe that an externalized exposition of the reasoning behind
> these efforts would be of interest to those interested in the future
> history of Common Lisp implementations.
>
> Most notably, with abcl-1.6.0 we extended the set of underlying Java
> Virtual Machines (JVM) that the implementation runs on to include
> openjdk11 and openjdk14 while maintaining compatibilty with openjdk6.
> And with the internal overhaul or arrays specialized on unsigned bytes
> in abcl-1.7.0, we made it possible to share such byte vectors with
> memory allocated outside of the hosting JVM via system interfaces such
> as malloc().  We first present the goals and challenges in affecting
> these changes within the ABCL codebase.  Then, we use this initial
> exposition to serve as a springboard to discuss outstanding needed
> changes in the ABCL 1 branch, and to outline some of the features
> intended to be present in ABCL 2, due to be released in the Fall of 2020.

Robert Strandh will talk about First-Class Global Environments in Common
Lisp.

> At the European Lisp Symposium in 2015, we presented a paper entitled
> "First-class Global Environments in Common Lisp".  There are several
> possible use cases for such environments.  In this presentation, we
> investigate the use of such environments at run time for so-called
> "sandboxing", i.e., to allow only a pre-selected set of
> functionalities to be visible to application code.  In particular, we
> demonstrate the main idea that allows such environments to be used
> with no performance loss in almost all cases.
As before, the talk will be pre-recorded and played back on Twitch, with
the ability to comment on the Twitch chat during playback. Afterwards,
we will have an online drink and chat on Jitsi. The videos will then
make it onto YouTube.

Date/time/location:

  * Date: 15th June 2020
  * Time: 13:00 CEST - https://time.is/en/CEST
  * Talk: https://www.twitch.tv/TwitchPlaysCommonLisp
  * Hangout: https://chat.heisig.xyz/TwitchPlaysCommonLisp

Massive thanks to Marco Heisig for providing the Jitsi instance where we
can hang out after the talk.

A mailing list has been created for the purpose of organizing and
promoting the online talks. Further announcements will be posted there.

Everyone, please feel free and welcome to suggest your own ideas and
record something that you'd like to talk about and share - along with
times and dates when I should play them.

BR and see you!
Michał "phoe" Herda