[noctool-devel] DISK-MONITOR class question

Ingvar ingvar at hexapodia.net
Wed Jan 21 17:35:16 UTC 2009

Jim Prewett writes:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm cureous as to why the DISK-MONITOR class has the slots: DISK-USED &
> INODES-USED whose accessors are DISK-FREE and INODES-FREE and initargs are
> :DISK-FREE and :INODES-FREE.
>
> This seems a *tad* confusing to me, especially whereas df reports used
> blocks and available blocks and the DISK-USED slot seems to be storing the
> *free* blocks.

I suspect this is one of those lovely artefacts that comes from "start coding,
then think". It's probably best to just rename the slots, as I believe
accessors and initargs all are "...-FREE"

> The INODES-USED slot seems to be, at this point, unused, so I'm not sure
> if it is also backwards :)  The naming does seem a bit strange as well. :)

They are, they possibly shouldn't be. Though inode starvation is much less
common than storage starvation (unless you use lots of small files, with a
file system that has an inode allocation for a much larger "average file"
size).

//Ingvar