[noctool-devel] what is a cpu-monitor?

Ingvar ingvar at hexapodia.net
Mon Jun 16 14:05:05 UTC 2008

> Hi Ingvar,
>
> I was wondering if the CPU monitor might be intended to monitor the number
> of CPUs on a system.  I'm looking at a Ganglia monitoring webpage right
> now and one of the things they report is the total number of CPUs a given
> host or group of hosts has.
>
> Could this be what it is for?
>
> If so, anyone know how to get this information from a host that doesn't
> have something like /proc/cpuinfo ? Specifically, I'm thinking my Mac
> laptop (which I do some bogus monitoring of for testing/hacking purposes).

I think it might've been one of those things I intened for routers and
switches, where you don't get a load, per se, but a "CPU utilisation
percentage". Not a problem if it means different things for different
equipment, though.

Or, yes, there is, but... Whoever first writes a PROCESS method for it gets to
decide, I think.

//Ingvar