[noctool-devel] Re: NOCtool and SNMP

Ingvar ingvar at hexapodia.net
Sat Jul 12 18:55:20 UTC 2008

Chun Tian writes:
[ I have CCd the noctool-devel mailing list ]
> Hi, Ingvar Mattsson
>
> I'm a UNIX system administrator and Lisp programmer in China.
>
> Recently I saw your NOCtool project [1] on common-lisp.net. I also
> want to build such a package for monitor my UNIX servers. My plan is
> write a pure lisp SNMP client first, then IPMI client, then other
> monitoring support (HTTP, Ping, ...), finally build a Web server on cl-
> http and add graph drawing facility.
>
> It seems that your project already done the later part of my plan:)

Yeah, it's slowly getting there and I was looking at SNMP packages a while
back, since I can see that having (some sort of) SNMP support would make it
much easier monitoring some types of equipment.

> Now I have a working SNMP client (even server) package[2]. For this
> project, I also write a USOCKET UDP patch and LispWorks UDP support.
> If your're still interesting in improve your package to monitor more
> things, you may want to see my work.
>
> The SNMP package is on SVN: (tested on LispWorks, other CLs maybe need
> small fixes)
>
> https://cl-net-snmp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cl-net-snmp/snmp/trunk
>
> The USOCKET UDP patch (as an ASDF package, waiting USOCKET author
> merge it):
>
> https://cl-net-snmp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cl-net-snmp/usocket-udp/trunk
>
> The IPMI package (still under development, not usable)
>
> https://cl-net-snmp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cl-net-snmp/ipmi/trunk

Cool. Are the packages in such a stage that it would make sense to package
them up so ASDF-INSTALL can grab and build them? From what I can tell, what's
needed is an ASDF system definition file, a tar-ball with the relevant source
files and an entry in CLiki.

//Ingvar