[movitz-devel] Re: A question about the tmp directory, and ext2 support

Martin Bealby mbealby at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:26:59 UTC 2008

Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> writes:

>> There is in principle no ext2 support. The tmp directory holds various
>> bits and pieces of (contributed) code that's not really integrated
>> with the rest of the system (yet). See the ext2 file as a starting
>> point for you to write proper ext2 support for movitz :-)
>
> Great, it's an opportunity! :)
>
> Then I still have the problem I don't know how to integrate anything with the
> rest of the system...
>
> I'll take a closer look at the source and see if I can get a handle of things
> to post more specific questions.
>
> /Andreas

Hi Andreas, I'm glad you are willing to contribute to Movitz.

Both Shawn and myself track the unofficial git repository[1] of movitz
as everyone can then have commit access for exchanging ideas.

In the git repository you will find some hard drive sector reading /
writing code[2] in there that was created by myself back in October.  I
believe there was an issue with the code in tmp (unknown author?) so I
decided to write a (simpler) replacement.  I performed some preliminary
testing (in qemu) and it appeared to work fine.

This could be a useful platform for building up a filesystem layer upon.

I hope this helps,
Martin

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/movitz-core.git
[2] http://repo.or.cz/w/movitz-core.git?a=blob;f=losp/x86-pc/ata.lisp