[movitz-devel] Re: What's up?

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Mon Feb 2 21:46:05 UTC 2004

Aleksandar Bakic <a_bakic at yahoo.com> writes:

> I saw it booting under Bochs and I played with it just a little
> bit. I looked at the source files, too. First of all, I may need to
> refresh my memory wrt.  x86 assembly. Are there some good
> on-line/downloadable references?

The x86 manuals are available from http://developer.intel.com, I find
those quite good, at least for anyone who grasps the basics of
assembly.

> Next, I wonder what kinds of MoKAs (besides the mentioned 3D/AI OS)
> might be killer KAs.

One idea might be a firewall/router/etc kind of thing.

> I assume it would not be trivial to reuse the code and have Movitz
> run on a non-x86 device (something like uClinux).

It certainly isn't.

> BTW, what is the status of the CMUCL port?

CMUCL seems to work about 96% of the way. Something weird happens
during dump-image.

> Do you have a relatively detailed plan, i.e., a list of things you
> would like to see done sooner rather than later?

The first thing obviously would be to get the development environment
up and going on other platforms than my Allegro/FreeBSD. Incremental
compiles, for example.. In my emacs, for Movitz buffers, I've got
M-C-x wired up to do the right thing, i.e. to recompile the
function/method/whatever under the current *image*. And a key-chord
that dumps an image and fires up bochs, and so on. This is in
movitz-mode.el, which hooks into ELI (ACL's emacs
interface). Something similar would have to be ported/written for
slime or ilisp.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld