[movitz-devel] Re: What's up?

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Mon Feb 2 17:29:58 UTC 2004

Janis Dzerins <jdz at dir.lv> writes:

> One thing I would like to find out is how to work with the stuff:
> mainly I think I would like to know about the bochs interface
> through procfs. If that is described somewhere, just point me where
> should I start reading.

This is not much described anywhere, and even if it at one time was
one of the most central things about this project, that code now
slightly lagging behind. The procfs stuff is only tested/designed for
FreeBSD as that's what I'm using, but I'm guessing porting it to linux
or NetBSD would be easy. What it currently does is to allow me to
attach to bochs running Movitz and inspect memory and CPU state, or do
a backtrace, which at times can be very valuable for debugging.

> I guess working on GC means knowing lots of implementation details
> only you have (at the moment).  But I think it would be beneficial
> for everybody else to have some knowledge of the details.  I'd
> really like to see more discussions on such things here (this is
> devel list, after all :).  So please share with us when you have
> anything to say.

I'll be happy to share any technical information I know, on request,
but currently I don't have time to actively write down all the little
details beyond what I've already done in the report (movitz.pdf) that
is available. I'm also not sure there would be much point anyway, as
many things have not stabilized yet.

Concerning GC in particluar I hope to produce some text (and code)
within a few months.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld