[movitz-devel] Re: The reactions of gc to hard-drive reads

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Mon Aug 9 10:19:27 UTC 2004

Elliott <ejohnson at kvpt.org> writes:

> Yep I poped in there and adjusted the value.  Changing 16000 to
> 65537 on line 192 of los0-gc.lisp allows for 256 sectors to be read
> or writen.  I can now handle 131kb of data to and from disk, plus
> run out of memory a lot faster. :) I'll if I can raise the amount of
> memory seen by los0

Just thought I'd mention that this has been fixed for a few weeks
now. That is, los0-gc is able to work with semi-spaces of practically
any size, and the default action of the los0 image should be to split
the machine's available memory in two and do stop-and-copy between
these parts. (Although still there's no decent code to detect memory
other than the ancient bios method, which is restricted to 64 MB, but
this should be trivial to fix once the good detection mechanism
identified). And allcating buffers of a few megabytes should therefore
be unproblematic now.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld