[movitz-devel] Re: Hardware requirements?

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Mon Aug 2 09:48:29 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Is it right that Movitz should be able to boot and do basic VGA stuff
> on basically any computer, include modern laptops?

Yes, if by "computer" you mean "x86 PC" :-)

> I can't find my floppy drive to test this.

There is of course the bootloader issue. The simple, built-in (floppy
only) bootloder seems to work on many PCs (such as Robert Strandhs
laptop in Oslo, for one random example), but then again I seem to
remember some report that it didn't work on some toshiba laptop. The
Grub loader is probably safer, it seems they managed to break Grub for
386 again, so it's not entirely rock solid either.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld