a few issues

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 02:26:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Tomas Hlavaty <tom at logand.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) there is a bug in coerce:
>
>    (coerce #(1 2 3) 'list) => (3 2 1)

This is a known bug in mkcl-1.1.9 (and a few previous minor versions).
Fixed in current git head (future mkcl-1.1.10).

> 2) what is the status of slime with mkcl?  The swank backend which comes
>    with the latest slime works except a few things:
>
>    a) when I recompile a function/macro (C-c C-c), i get an error about
>       an integer not being a stream; maybe stream/fd issue?
>
>       15482 is not of type STREAM.

Sounds bad. I'll try to look into it. Do you have a more precise/concise
test case code for this?
(BTW, I usually recompile a whole file at a time since it generates better
code
through file scoped optimizations)

>    b) trace doesn't seem to work; maybe not a slime issue but a general
>       mkcl issue?

cl:trace is tied to the bytecode compiler (more or less a.k.a. "the
interpreter")
which in turn is currently on the chopping block.
The future of the current cl:trace code is therefore quite bleak.
(It is pretty much a bad piece of legacy that really needs to be redone if
you want my opinion.)

>    I know that there is a slime in the mkcl sources (does it work better
>    than the latest slime from git?), but it is really inconvenient to
>    have separate slime just for mkcl.

The code of my adaptation of slime for mkcl (the one in mkcl sources) got
partially pushed into the main slime git repository a few months ago
without my personal involvement, I discovered this situation while reading
the slime release notes. I have yet to audit the merged code and try
to get the missing pieces accepted into the main slime code line.
I'll try to do this for the release of mkcl-1.1.10.

> 3) I have issues with mkcl:run-program; which somehow returns
>
>    (values #<two-way stream> nil nil)

What is the exact code that produces this result? Somehow I cannot
remember how to get "nil" as second and third value. For my part
I always get a process tracking object as second value and a fixnum
as third value.

>    which seems rather odd.  I haven't debugged the issue completely yet,
>    as tracing doesn't seem to work on mkcl:run-program but if i run the
>    same command from the slime repl with multiple-value-list, i get
>
>    (values #<two-way stream> #<process> nil)
>
>    Are there known issues with mkcl:run-program?

Again, how do you get "nil" as third value? All I get is a fixnum in that
position.
Your exact testcase code?

Cheers,

Jean-Claude