Trying to use McCLIM

Craig Lanning craig.t.lanning at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 20:01:14 UTC 2019

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Fri, 2019-10-11 at 21:37 +0200, Daniel Kochmański wrote:
> Hello Craig,
>
> Craig Lanning writes:
>
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> > I have been writing CLIM apps for years. I've use Symbolics CLIM
> > and
> > LispWorks CLIM. Code moves back and forth between these two with
> > little
> > difficulty. In the past when I tried McCLIM, I couldn't make it
> > work.
> >
> > I just tried it again. Is there a way to determine which version of
> > McCLIM was loaded by QuickLisp?  I tried it in both Clozure CL and
> > SBCL. Neither worked, but each exhitited a different failure.
>
> I'm glad to hear that you've tried it again. I expect that there is
> easier way to check the Quicklisp version, but if you look into the
> file
> quicklisp-directory/dists/quicklisp/releases.txt and search for a
> string
> mcclim you'll see something like this:
>
> -- cut --
> mcclim
> http://beta.quicklisp.org/archive/mcclim/2019-07-10/mcclim-20190710-git.tgz
> -- cut --
>
> You can see there that it is a version cloned at 2019-07-10.
> Canonical
> repository is https://github.com/McCLIM/McCLIM/ so if you want to
> ensure
> the newest version clone it to your local-projects directory (or to
> one of asdf registory directories).
>

> > SBCL compiles and loads my code. When I start the app, once it
> > displays
> > the frame, the command menus show up in the menu bar, but they
> > won't
> > pop down.
> >
> > Clozure CL compiles and loads my code. When I start the app, once
> > it
> > displays the frame, while the command menus will pop down, all of
> > the
> > items in the menu are grayed out, except the divider entries.
>
> I can reproduce the result you've mentioned for CCL on SBCL. Note
> that I
> had to make changes to your code since it didn't run
> (:redisplay-function argument should be :display-function and a
> function
> name typo s/display-detail/display-details/). I didn't change
> anything
> else so far.
> >
> > I also noticed that for both SBCL and Clozure CL, McCLIM had no
> > support
> > for Palettes. It failed when my code called make-palette and frame-
> > manager-palette.
>
> McCLIM implements CLIM II specification which doesn't specify what
> palettes are.

That is interesting since that bit of code works on both the Symbolics
CLIM and the LispWorks CLIM.

The code that Franz just released also has some stuff about Palettes.

I'll have to look back through the CLIM II spec to see if it mentions
Palettes.

Palettes may have been something that was added after the 2.0 spec was
released.  I think that Symbolics' CLIM implementation was considered
to be 2.1 and I don't know about LispWorks. I think that Franz
implementation may have been 2.2.

> > The app is just a toy that I want to use as the example for a book
> > that
> > I am writing about using CLIM.
> >
> > I have attached a zip file of the source code. With the code
> > unzipped,
> > you can compile and load the app by loading system.lisp into your
> > lisp
> > environment. Its a fairly simple file to compile and load the files
> > for
> > the app.
> >
> > Once the app is loaded you can start it by typing the form
> > 	(cb:run-class-browser)
> >

> I've started the application (as noted above). If nobody replies
> during
> the weekend about why menu commands seem to be disables I'll try to
> debug it on Monday.
> > Incidently, it would be helpful if there was a feature symbol that
> > was
> > unique to McCLIM. So that I could distinguish between running in
> > McCLIM
> > and some other CLIM.
>
> As it happens such feature symbol exists, it is `:mcclim'.

Thanks, that is great. I guess I missed it when I looked through the
list of symbols.

Craig