'clim:layout-frame called as each letter typed into interactor?

John Morrison jm at symbolic-simulation.com
Thu Nov 16 17:08:57 UTC 2017

 Hi;

The McCLIM app I am writing has both a pan/zoom application pane and an
interactor pane.  I am trying to track down why the top-level frame gets
resized (radically - too big to fit the X11 screen) when things get drawn
onto the canvas.

Immediately upon tracing clim:layout-frame, I was surprised to see it
(unexpectedly, to me) getting called as each letter it typed into the
interactor pane - before I actually start drawing anything (much) onto the
canvas/application pane.  I am guessing that my output-record-producing
drawing similarly triggers the layout protocol again...

Is this expected behavior?  I was hoping/expecting that the frame layout
was computed a "final" time, and then I could draw onto one of its panes
with impunity, counting on visible region clipping.

If it is not expected behavior, I would be happy to try and track it down.
If it is expected behavior, is there some way to prevent it?  It is indeed
strange for the application to "spontaneously" and dramatically change its
size/realization on the screen.

Thanks!

-jm