mcclim-based gui prototype for quicklisp

John Morrison jm at symbolic-simulation.com
Mon Nov 6 12:40:34 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel;

Thank you for the detailed feedback.  Sorry for the delay, as I was looking
into a few of the following (and making various, mostly unsatisfying,
progress)...

   - Re: synching on each tab switch & resultant unresponsiveness - I
   briefly looked into this a while back (because I also hate waiting), and it
   looked like the app's various display functions asking about version
   availability triggers the fetches.  I also expected some caching, but the
   slots I thought would contain the fetch results seemed to remain unbound
   after the fetch.  I will look harder, as this smells like I don't
   understand what I'm looking at.
   - Re: the dependency graph - FYI is it a dependency graph of the
   known-to-ASDF systems (often updated after installing a quicklisp
   release/system).  I suppose one could argue that it is out of place here.
   Please let me know what you think.
   - Re: the dependency graph - I also suppose one could argue that perhaps
   I should have instead/additionally drawn a dependency diagram of the
   selected quicklisp system. I only go so far as to textually indicate which
   quicklisp systems are provided by the selected quicklisp release, and
   textually indicate which quicklisp systems depend upon the selected
   quicklisp system.
   - Re: single-box t - what is the best idiomatic way/place to do this?  I
   (perhaps naively or ignorantly) expected to be able to do this in the
   define-presentation-type, but seem not up to the task.
   - Would you please elaborate on "two layouts?"  Do you mean just stop
   hanging "inspector" commands on the various presentations?  If so, I agree
   I would like to be able to do this (a "release" build vs a "debug" build).
   What is the best idiomatic way to do this?  Should I push something onto
   *features* and use #-DEBUG or something like that, or is there some ASDF
   derived system definition idiom?

Thanks again for the feedback, and I will try and address it - especially
the unresponsive bit...

-jm