LKB with McCLIM

John R. Towler jtowler at soncom.com
Tue Dec 22 21:16:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

        I sent a post not being subscribed about the LKB.  I just wanted
        to let folk know that the LKB from http://lingo.stanford.edu/,
        written from an Allegro CL platform compiles with McCLIM and
        some fixes/kludges on sbcl-1.3.1 completely with all of the code
        cited as Allegro dependent working without porting CLM (Motif
        from ftp.x.org/R5contrib).  Clisp-2.49 is being worked on in
        parallel and interleaving the two.  The developers list it as
        being open source, CL, requiring cltl2 (assumed now), Motif, and
        CLIM, all of which Allegro CL gives them.  I got this to this
        significant point, and I wanted people concerned about McCLIM
        and grammar development environments to be informed.

        I found that there is a chunk of stuff about code involving
        threading and multiprocessing mixed into the Allegro based code.
        I used bordeaux-threads and looked at clocc/src/port/proc.lisp
        and I will need to rework and make sure the intended stuff runs
        like Un*x processes.  sbcl has something now or in process.  I
        intend to make it run in the direction chosen by clocc, to have
        it abstracted away from the particular CL.

        This will add to my experience, not a problem.  My original
        problem about command-tables in McCLIM was solved by using
        defvar ... nil and at one point giving () as an argument to
        :command-table in the top-level code stuff.  I don't know enough
        to be able to discuss it, but I made chunks of progress, and I
        wanted to thank the moderator for posting my query, and for all
        of the people who work/ed on McCLIM for their indirect
        contribution.  I will be going through it again and fixing the
        thread/process/function uses for CLIM objects, to get it
        running, and then I will go back and organize the resulting
        changes and make patch files etc.  Odds are my fixes to get it
        to compile and load messed up a chunk of CLIM stuff.  tty only I
        discovered several years ago works with sbcl, and clisp.  I run
        NetBSD-6.1.4 on a Dell D610 laptop for the most part.  I just
        wanted to get to working with grammars of natural language.  The
        project has a self-made open source license, and my changes will
        be open source to fit with this and my beliefs about that
        topic.  Thanks again.

        Sincerely,
        John R. Towler
        jtowler at soncom.com

        NetBSD-6.1.4, sbcl-1.3.1 (now out), clisp-2.49 with NetBSD
        pkgsrc patches to be more current with their developing code
        base.  cmucl for NetBSD i86 stops on lisp pathname errors and
        because it doesn't just compile, I moved back to sbcl, clisp.
        Sorry about the  verbosity.