[mcclim-devel] Unsupported implementations

Richard Lewis richard.lewis at gold.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 20:53:54 UTC 2012

Hi there,

Out of interest (I have no particular application for this) I tried
installing McCLIM with ECL just now using QuickLisp and got nowhere.

The mcclim.asd has a defsystem form, :clim-lisp, which adds a file
component depending on the implementation. However, it has no
fall-back for unsupported implementations meaning that the error I get
if I try to compile with ECL is "Too few arguments supplied to a macro
or a destructuring-bind form" where "unsupported implementation" would
be better.

I tried adding a fall-back to that defsystem just to see what would
happen:

(defsystem :clim-lisp
    :components
  (;; First possible patches
   (:file "patch")
   (:module "Lisp-Dep"
            :depends-on ("patch")
            :components
            ((:file   #+cmu       "fix-cmu"
		      #+scl       "fix-scl"
                      #+excl      "fix-acl"
                      #+sbcl      "fix-sbcl"
                      #+openmcl   "fix-openmcl"
                      #+lispworks "fix-lispworks"
                      #+clisp     "fix-clisp"
		      #| other |# "fix-nil")))
   (:file "package" :depends-on ("Lisp-Dep" "patch"))))

fix-nil.lisp was just an empty file. It compiled a little bit but
eventually failed saying "Cannot find symbol
"FUNDAMENTAL-BINARY-INPUT-STREAM" in package #<"CLIM-LISP"
package>". But that's not really the point.

I don't know what is the idiomatic way of making a system fail based
on implementation, but it might be good to do something like that in
McCLIM.

Richard