[mcclim-devel] Problem starting McClim

Michael McDonald mikemac at mikemac.com
Wed Mar 16 03:39:05 UTC 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 4:35 AM, Bruce Seely wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to use mcclim. I've loaded it (along with clx, flexichains,
> and spacial-trees), and get this error when I try to start the demo:
>
> CL-USER(15): (clim-demo::run-test 'clim-demo::demodemo)
> ; Autoloading for ACL-SOCKET:CONFIGURE-DNS:
> ; Fast loading from bundle code/acldns.fasl.
> Error: "Connection timed out" (errno 60) occurred while
>        creating a local socket and connecting to a remote host
> "tmp/launch-4lQnm8/org.x" (67.215.65.132) on port 6000.
>   [condition type: SOCKET-ERROR]

Your DISPLAY environment variable isn't set up correctly. It's caused by the retards at Apple breaking 20 years of X compatibility so they can be "innovative". It needs to be something like ":0.0", not "tmp/launch-4lQnm8/org.x".

I start X11 up directly (despite the retards saying you just have to run an X application). I get two xterm, one has the bogus DISPLAY and one has the real one. I kill the bogus one and then use the real one from then on.

So, in the "Login Items" under "System Preferences" -> "Accounts", I have /Applications/Utilities/X11.app and in my home directory I have my .xinitrc file:

#!/bin/sh
TERM=xterm
export TERM
PATH=/Users/mikemac/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bsd:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
export PATH

xhost +
xterm -geometry +0+0&
quartz-wm