[mcclim-devel] Gadget based accepting-values

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Mon May 12 18:21:10 UTC 2008

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> For textually oriented dialogs using an input editing stream seems to
> make sense. Are there streams in CLIM that cannot have gadgets on
> them?

None that can have input-editing streams on them, anyway.

> For gadget based views using text-field/text-editor is the saner
> choice and I'm implementing that now (trying to figure out how to call
> accept at the right time).

But what about the default view, when nothing else is specified? With
the input-editing stream, you get completion, which is nice. Can this
be replicated with gadgets, I wonder?

> I am fairly certain that the individual gadget views are supposed to
> inherit from gadget-view; gadget-dialog-view is like
> textual-dialog-view in that it represents the view for the entire
> dialog. Perhaps someone has access to Allegro or LispWorks CLIM and
> could check the class heirarchy? I can see why they might be derived
> from gadget-dialog-view instead

Oh yeah, it seems I was confused (who'd have thought?).

> The Franz userguide says that accept on a gadget-view outside of a
> dialog is not intended to work. This makes sense to me because of the
> mismatch between synchronous accept and asychronous gadgets; inside of
> a dialog the entire dialog blocks allowing the desired behavior to be
> achieved.

The Franz documentation does indeed say that, but I have seen
screenshots from other CLIM implementations where it is clearly
supported. And as you can see from my example, it's possible to get it
to work.

It's not a big issue to actually define a bunch of presentation
methods for gadget views outside of dialogs, though, I'm willing to
postpone that to a later date.

> [technical issues]

I'm not familiar enough with dialogs to provide advice on this, so
I'll defer to your recommendations.

> I've seen list posts mentioning CLIM 2.5 before. Which implementation
> does this correspond to? If there is a manual for it online perhaps it
> has more to say about this.

I have never heard of CLIM 2.5 before. I have, however, heard of CLIM
2.1, which seems to be LispWorks CLIM.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen