[mcclim-devel] status of mcclim

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Sun Jan 13 14:11:28 UTC 2008

Jan Brosius <jan.brosius at skynet.be> writes:

> If there is a Gtkairo backend for mcclim than I would expect that
> mcclim uses an ffi e.g. cffi.
> If so I would like to have some working knowledge of how it is done
> and what C library one uses.

Yes, Gtkairo uses CFFI. Other backends can use whatever FFI they want
(the Beagle backend uses some OpenMCL-specific FFI as far as I
know). The Gtkairo backend uses various GTK and Cairo libraries, but I
admit that I do not fully know which ones.

> I mean wxcl uses wxWidgets (written in C++), swig to "translate it to
> cffi and also cffi.
> But I couldn't find a folder like cffi in the mcclim distribution.

No, that's because McCLIM as a whole does not mandate any specific FFI
- McCLIM is device-independent, and does not necessarily require the
use of FFIs, so any backend that needs to talk to C code needs to do
the FFI work itself.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen