[mcclim-devel] cpu constantly at 99% with just a simple GUI open

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Sat Feb 23 15:27:05 UTC 2008

Hi David,

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 12:40 +0100, David Lichteblau wrote:
> Quoting Dietrich Bollmann (diresu at web.de):
> > When trying to test the system from the clim example programs the
> > "DemoDemo" window popped up and I could start one of the demos.
> > Thereafter things stopped to work and the windows to repaint.
>
> This is unrelated to the error you mentioned, but does your SBCL have
> sb-thread support enabled?  I seem to recall that demodemo might hang
> when used without threads.

Probably I did not: no `sb-thread' found when evaluating `*features*'...

Thanks.  I will rebuild sbcl with sb-thread enabled next week and try
again.

By the way: When searching for documentation about how to install mcclim
I haven't seen any hint indicating the need to do so.

The same lack of information when searching for instructions about how
to enable `sb-thread'.  I finally found them hidden in the sbcl INSTALL
file when grepping for `sb-thread' though.

Both is probably my fault as others do not seem to have the same
problems.  But some more information might make things easier for people
like me :)

(I don't mean to complain - this is just meant as an idea about how to
make the world a better place :)

> > An exception, appended to this message, was signalled.
> >
> > In the exception message I could read: ...(possible package problem)...
> >
> > Ok, but how to find the one combination of packages which works?
>
> Which one of the demos is that?
>
> I just tried some of them, and indeed Troels' recent climacs changes
> must have caused some trouble.  I noticed that the tab layout demo
> signals a flexichain error.  But I didn't see the error you got.
>
> Some of the demos worked fine for me, including clim-fig, the
> calculator, the address book, the logic cube, ...

As far as I remember it was the calculator.

I also tried the drawing tool (first example button) and I think
a similar exception message was shown.

> > Should I rather follow some other installation instructions, use some
> > other tool (clbuild ?), ...?
>
> That is also an option.  I recently updated
>   http://mcclim.cliki.net/Getting%20started%20using%20clbuild
> for current clbuild.

Thanks, but if all of you use the cvs directly I probably better do the
same?

It would be nice if the sbcl and clim packages for Debian etc. would be
updated on a regular basis also.  This would make things much easier for
the rest of the world - which would be the best publicity for lisp.

Thanks for your help - I probably would have spend a week to find a way
out of my problems without your help :)

Dietrich